Wednesday, June 3, 2009

My Writing Process

Well, alright. This article was tricky to craft - I had over 12 pages of notes, and, as I think it is evident from the writing, I was unclear about how to structure this.

I think, too, that I was not sure what I should focus on. As usual, I had a very different "vision" for this article - at first, I thought it would be about the lack of security and deficient policies on campus. In fact, it turned out to be quite the opposite story as I interviewed more and more people - the attitude of the students, the racial issues surrounding security on our campus, etc, reflected a completely different story.

That said, I want it to be more than whining about how K students are just so mean to staff here. I want it to have some overall point of emphasis, a "take away message" but that may not be something I can force out of a story. It just is what it is right now - a series of somewhat interesting observations.

I think my "diagnosis" of what I need to do from here is this: interview MORE, structure this MORE, and perhaps write an outline to hone in of what, exactly, this article is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment