Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Week 4: Reading Response

Trina and Trina blew me away. I wish I could write a profile that is as all consuming as this one must have been for LeBlanc - it was really interesting as well, because part of the reason I feel the article is so effective is that it is in large part about the struggle of communicating and getting through to Trina. I feel like the story gradually exposes Trina - gradually, definitely not at first. In the beginning its a little disconcerting because we in fact know so little. I almost felt helpless as a reader.

Clearly, there are stories that are hard to separate your goal as a journalist and your basic humanity. I think the fact that LeBlanc repeatedly admit to his frustration with Trina - and that he even at one point oversteps the lines of his profession and takes her in, trying to get her clean, are cases in point. However, for this piece it really works - because we, the audience WANT to help Trina.

I think that his biggest challenge was connecting with Trina - she seemed like such an emotionally unacessable person, until almost the very end of the story.

It is interesting that LeBlanc chose to organize the story chronologically. Because the story is about Trina, her scattered, damaged life, and her drug addiction, I wonder how it would have made sense to organize it otherwise. Certainly, every story needs SOME structure, but what structure would have been reflected the subject?

As for The American Man at Age Ten, I just simply love this piece. Especially, I love her introduction - because the reader is drawn in but surprised at the same time. I had read this article before but I really see so much more in it the second time around - and I think what I love about Orleans writing is the imagery and examples. They are so lush, and give the reader such a clear, vivid picture of what she is writing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment